Friday 10 February 2017

What's For Dinner?

I don't know about you but during the day I used to start thinking about what I was going to have for dinner that evening.  I'd think about all of the things I could have that were 100% on plan and what ingredients I'd need.  Thoughts of food would soon turn in to some sort of word association game and I'd go from a healthy chicken stir fry and end up at a chicken pie with maybe a suet pastry and thick gravy (my mouth is watering as I type this!!!)

To stop me thinking about food I decided to start planning what I was going to eat in advance.  I now get my planner out along with a few recipe books and my shopping list and set to work.  It only takes about 20 minutes and as well as putting what we're going to eat on the planner I also put what events I'm doing each day.
To keep my shopping costs down if something needs half a carton of passata then I'll look for a recipe that will use the other half later in the week so nothing is wasted.
The planner stays on my fridge and I glance at it in the morning as I head out of the door to make sure I don't need to get anything out of the freezer, then I don't need to think about food for the rest of the day.

I always do my shopping straight after weigh in so that I''m feeling really inspired by things that have been discussed in group, that way I'm not tempted to go off list.

I hope someone finds this useful.

Thanks for stopping by
 Jo xx

3 comments:

My Little World said...

I also follow a similar plan Jo. I have a fridge menu planner and I usually sit and plan for the coming week on a Friday night. I also make a shopping list so that we have exactly what I need to stay on track (I am doing WW). Each morning I like to use my App to log what I am going to eat that day so I know how many points I have left to use on a naughty but nice treat.

Jane

Sandra said...

I'm a big meal planner too, although I do mine on a Sunday or Monday morning, and like you I try and think what else I can use half cartons for. Mine are mainly half cartons of chopped tomatoes. I wish they did them in smaller portions lol.

Loving your blogging posts this year xx

Barbara Eads said...

We subscribed to one of those home delivery meal services---Hello Fresh. We love it! The meals are healthy, lower calorie, pretty quick and delicious. All the thinking and shopping is done!